Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Let me play Sitar !

I struck with this not so normal idea of learning sitar after I read about a professional sitarist Manoj Mukherjee in Mysore. I went to his residance near Jaylakshmipuram and was quite taken by the artistic beauty of this fine hindustani musical instrument.
I have now started playing my first 'Sa-Re-Ga-Ma' moving my fingers hard on the long strings of sitar. My sitar master taught the sitting posture for playing sitar and he insisted on my attire to be kurta-pyjama. I was happy to accept my sitar guru after I offered him a thali of coconut, bunch of bananas, beetle leaves, agarbathi and guru dakshina, after which he wore on my right index finger the 'mizrab'.
I am hoping to get along practicing better on sitar with its calm tones of music spreading into my mind each time I strike the strings.

2 comments:

Lakshmi Bharadwaj said...

That is good. How is your practice going? I always wanted to play an instrument, I was interested in the flute. Anyway, nice to know you have started on something. Happy playing! It was nice reading.

Krishna Vattam said...

Hmm...I went through your older posts and I think you must be a very active person. You learn sitar, madolin, play tennis, travel, celebrate holi...hardly the things I do! How can you find time for everything, apart from working for Infy?