Friday, August 3, 2007

Mahishasura Statue - static recognition of Mysore


This statue of Mahishasura with his big moustache, sword and a snake caught in his hand, is one of the pictures which I associate with Mysore because I remember in my school picnic seeing this photo prominantly in the tourism post cards of Mysore.
I had visited Chamundi Hills and Zoo last weekend and was happy recollecting the times when I came here as a school kid along with our teacher. That is when I realized one thing - there are few key aspects to a place which get fixed on to our mind thus giving a face of recognition for the city.

Such key recognizing features as temples, statues or monuments will remain as it is for a long period of time. It is these aspects which bring in to ourselves a feeling of relativeness with respect to various changing factors in our lives. Now for example, a school kid sees this Mahishasura statue now and comes back after 20 years to the same statue. Most probably it would be in the same shape as it is today. This brings in a good feeling of how life changed from the day he saw this staue for the first time as a school kid 20years ago to the present day because he is able to bring in the relativeness between the changing and the static.

1 comment:

Vinay said...

commenting on a post of 5 years old!!

Hi, I totally agree with you. I had the same experience with my recent Mysore tour, except that this is my first Mysore tour and I had been seeing the statue since my childhood on the tourism postcards..