Tuesday, February 20, 2007

One Year in Infosys

I joined Infy last Feb 20th in the batch of Feb06LC1 trainees. Now today we finished 1 full year at infy. The year was quite eventful - training of 4 months, my posting in E&R, taking a couple of classes, being batch owner,bit of project work,.. it was great experience.

Now let me surf the highs and lows of the tide that kept me moving for the past 1 year..

To begin with, I never imagined I'll be joining Infosys though I got the offer letter dated Aug 2004 (that was before start of my final year in college), because I had already decided to join Ingersoll-Rand (it's a mech mnc). As being an Electrical Engineer passed out of a prestigious college of NIT Calicut, I decided my career would suite 'core' rather than 'software'. That's how I joined IR Wadco plant near Delhi.

Infy send a mail asking me to join in Dec though my original joining date was Aug23, '05. I never responded. As my work progressed in Wadco, I began to realise that my profile was more of managing workers to keep then engaged and assembling panels for machines. It was far different to my expectations, where I was dreaming of designing cutting edge technologies in electrical and electronics. I decided to take a call - join infy now ? I chanced on a mail sent to infy requesting to send me a joining date. I was very happy, (bit nervous too about resigning from Wadco) after I got the mail to join Infy Mysore for training on Feb20,'06.

I landed on mysore on Sunday evening, Feb19 from Bangalore after getting my relieving letter from IngersollRand and to think, I was jobless at that point of time. I guess its the same experience for all freshers joining infy - the registration desk outside maingate, sumo drop till reception, first time in golf cart till hostel room, and then a jump inside the room for the awestruck scenary of the infy campus through the window of full fledged ac room!

The next 31/2 months were unforgettable - i believe its the same with all the trainees joining infy, the bicycle ride in the morning, boring (for me) classes till noon, food at FC3, a bit of sleep at my room, back to labs for assignments, hurrying thru assignments, most of the times not being able to complete, preparing for module tests, nidhi (sitting next to me) who was expert in old question papers, vishwesh and few others who were cool, used to make fun of me at the online module test because i'll be the one who screams "It's Come..", final Compre, waiting for results in trainee portal, waiting for postings, heena who was our pm in post project (she also bagged best trainee), few others waiting for compre and orals like the brave sayuri, few who left the batch in between like harshad, vishal (he used to say "manju, I'm proud of u" without any reason), good bye days when everybody left one after other to pune (sameer, swapnil, heena, ankit,..) to mangalore (sajitha, swathi), to Trivandrum (vivek, aswathi,romul,.) to bangalore (saikat, vishwesh, sonia,..) and mohali, chennai, hyderabad infy dcs.

I feel myself lucky to join E&R (Education & Research) wing here in mysore infy. Within next few months, it was a wonderful experience.. myself in a single cabin with my name on the door, laptop for my use, taking sessions (to think that i was sitting on the other side few weeks ago), being batch owner, attending to trainees (i had a case of girl trainee crying to me in my cabin!), announcing results, arranging batch party, being asked for signature on the book presented to best trainee, being gifted with presents from trainees, going for project evaluations and the joy of being an educator here in this great GEC (global education center)..

Finally the day came - Feb20 which completes my one full year in infy campus here in mysore.. I came to office early and send wishing mail to all.. then it was a soup of congratulating mails ..

3 comments:

naveen said...

Hey Manju....Plz be descripitive... Write some large blog entries.. Ithu orumathiri, picturinte thaze caption ezhuthunnathu pole !!! Share your experiances with us..

Unknown said...

KOLLAM.....AROKKEYAAAA

naveen said...

Well...thts one good Blog entry, I must say.. And, U ate frm FC3...My God...Wht were u thinking??